Blogging is a great way to meet new people and get noticed. Getting yourself known on other sites from your blog helps generate a lot of traffic as well. The question is, though, “Is your site link friendly?” Here are some things to do that could increase linking and traffic.
1. Make sure comments are enabled! This should be a no brainer, but I’ve seen a few blog sites with this feature disabled, and that is a major no-no. By enabling comments, you are encouraging people to be a part of the conversation and building relationships with other bloggers. Keep it up and they just may be talking about you later.
2. Blogroll. Pople love being linked, and they keep track of it. Bloggers will check you out once you’ve linked them, and if they find your site valuable, they may reciprocate.
3. Trackbacks. Providing trackback links is important because it allows others to link back to you as a source. The more the merrier.
4. Social media links on blogs. Many plugins are available that add social media links on each post for sites such as Digg, Reddit, Technorati, Del.icio.us, etc. If you are part of a social media site like Technorati or BlogCatalog, what are you waiting for? Copy/paste the code they give you to pop into your blog site! Make it easy for people to add you!
5. Social media sites. Take full advantage of sites such as LinkedIn, Squidoo, Howto.com, Technorati, MyBlogLog, etc. and link them to you. For example, my LinkedIn profile links to my business site and personal blog.
These are just a few simple ways to get noticed. The key is to focus hard and build on one tool before moving on to the next one. A few strong tools work better than many mediocre ones. Now get out there and start linking!